WARNING: This will download and reinstall the DVR firmware and software. This SHOULD not erase your user settings or delete your stored recordings on the DVR. This is not guaranteed; proceed at your own risk.
- Unplug the power cord from the DVR.
- On the front of the DVR, press & hold the POWER & MENU buttons while plugging the power cord back into the DVR. The display should now read "boot".
- Release the POWER & MENU buttons.
- Press the UP or DOWN ARROW buttons on the DVR (not the remote) until you see "n dl" on the display.
- Press the OK/SELECT on the DVR to begin authorization & downloading of software, STB/DVR firmware from your cable headend. It could take up to 20 minutes to download the firmware, the software could take up to 2 hours depending on what software your cable provider has. You should see "n dl" in the LED display with a line moving in a square.
- After it completes this download the DVR will then reboot and begin to download the time settings for the clock along with your cable account info and settings. After this is done, it will begin to populate the Guide info. It could take up to 24 hours to fill in all 2 weeks of Guide info. Depending on your location, environmental variables and amount of users with digital cable or cable Internet, the download can take up to twice as long.
- If the display on your Motorola DVR displays only the number 0 after performing this process, it is in need of a reset by your cable provider. Call them and ask them to reset your box.
- This procedure is not confirmed to work on the newer DCH-series DVRs. It does not work on Time Warner Cable's version 6416 DVR, which does not include "n dl" on the display.